Newhaven was designated as a Class C commercial port in 1905.
Fort Newhaven had been built between 1864 and 1870 to protect the harbour. In 1902 a pair of 6-inch Mark VII BL guns were mounted within the Fort. The Fort also had a pair of 12-pdr Q.F. guns, but it was recommended that these light gun be withdrawn.
There were no Defence Electric Lights in 1907.