Wei Hai Wei was a British leased territory between 1898 and 1930. The port of Wei Hai Wei was originally a base for the Chinese Northern Fleet, and the British intended to use it as the Summer Base for the Royal Navy’s China Station. It was also used for Rest and recreation as an extension to Hong Kong.
The British forces concentrated t on Liu Kung Island (Lou-Kung Tao). The garrison consisted of 200 British troops and Chinese troops of the Wei Hai Wei Regiment (1st Chinese Regiment).