In 1625 the British took possession of Barbados. As the most easterly of the Caribbean Islands, it became the first port of call for ships sailing in from Europe. The harbour at Bridge Town was defended with coastal defence batteries, and a garrison was also maintained here.
The principal British Military structures were:
St Anne’s Fort
Gun Hill (signal station)