Development of the Brennan Torpedo
The Brennan Torpedo was was designed by Louis Brennan and a working version was available by 1878. The following year the Royal Navy carried out a successful test in Hobsons Bay, Melbourne, Australia but the device was not found unsuitable for shipborne use. In 1881 the Royal Engineers examined the Brennan Torpedo at Chatham and strongly recommended its adoption. Over the next three years the Brennan Torpedo was tested and further developed and in 1884 it was formerly adopted as a harbour defence weapon.