The Tyne was initially classified as a Class B harbour and was protected by three batteries:
- Tynemouth Castle Battery had defences dating back to Tudor times. The battery was redeveloped between 1899 and 1901 on the site of the 1890’s emplacements. It was made to mount two 6-inch Mark VII guns and one 9.2-inch Mark X guns.
- Spanish Battery also had defences dating back to Tudor times. The site was redeveloped between 1899 and 1901 to mount two 6-inch Mark VII guns.
- Frenchman’s Point Battery was built between 1900 and 1905 to mount two 6-inch Mark VII guns and one 9.2-inch Mark X. The site has been lost to development
- Clifford’s Fort also included North Shields Battery with two 6-pdr Q.F. guns
Designated in 1905 as a Class C, Commercial Port by the Home Ports Defence Committee, later the Home Defence Committee with defences designed to resist attack by unarmoured cruisers and block ships. The 1905 report recommended the Port be downgraded to Class C and that it be defended by two 6-inch BL Mark VII batteries, one in the north and the other in the south. At this time the defence of the the Tyne are shown as: