A British Submarine Mining Station of about 1880 had similar features, although their actual layout was influenced by the local topography. The key components of any Submarine Mining Station were as follows:
- A pier with at least one crane. This was usually able to handle up to 6 tons and was used for loading the mines and their moorings
- An 18-inch narrow gauge railway running around the site connecting the mine store (connecting-up shed), general store and gun cotton store allowing for mines to be moved around with ease. Sometimes the trackway also ran from a slipway to the steam launch shed.
- Gun Cotton store for the storage of the explosive used in the mines. Often one store for dry and one for wet gun cotton.
- Loading Shed where the mines were filled with gun cotton.
- Connecting -up Shed where the mine was wired up.
- Electric and Test Room.
- Cable Tanks, usually circular, holding the cables to moor the mines.
- Sinker Platform for the storage of the weights used to hold the mines in position.
- Often a Primer Pit which used to set the priming fuses. Often up to three of these small underground rooms.
- A Test Room.
- An Observation Station required to detonate controlled mines.
The Royal Engineers had command of the Submarine Mining Stations up until 1905 when responsibility passed to the Royal Navy. A constant problem, particularly in the overseas locations, was the availability of trained personnel to prepare and handle these complex devices.