St Lucia was administratively part of the Windward Islands originally inhabited by Amerindian peoples. The French were the first European settlers from 1660, but during the various wars with Britain, control of the Island changed hands many times. From 1814 onwards the British maintained firm control of the Island until independence in 1979.
Castries is an excellent natural harbour and was initially fortified by the French, and the British improved on their work. The British designated Castries as a Coaling Station in the 1880s and it was thus prioritised for defence.
Morne Barracks and Defences
La Toc Battery
Vigie Battery & Barracks
Fort Rodney (Pigeon Island)